Long Distance Issues
3 Rivers telephone customers, along with customers of other providers in rural areas across Montana and other states, are experiencing problems with long distance phone calls not being completed or suffering from other call quality issues.
Some of these issues are:
- Calling party hears ringing, called party’s phone does not ring.
- Calling party hears dead air, sometimes up to a full minute, until they hear ringing.
- Called party’s phone rings but hears dead air when the call is answered.
- Extremely poor quality on calls that are answerable.
- Caller ID shows an incorrect number for incoming calls.
These problems occur on calls originated using a variety of telephone technologies including landline, wireless and Internet voice services. The exact issue has yet to be determined, but it is believed to be a problem with the way long distance carriers route the call, which sometimes involves using “least cost routing”—not always the highest quality route.
3 Rivers realizes that these problems are very frustrating for consumers who may miss calls from family and friends and could be costly for businesses missing calls from customers or suppliers. Naturally, telephone subscribers are going to turn to their local telephone company for a resolution. These particular calling problems, however, originate outside of 3 Rivers’ local telephone network and therefore cannot be “fixed” by 3 Rivers. The problem calls, which move from one company’s network to a second and often a third or fourth network, may not ev